Burn a Backup to CD v5.6- Restore from a CD
You cannot save a Volunteer Reporter backup directly to a CD, but you can back it up anywhere on your computer and then burn it to a CD. There are different ways to burn a CD, depending upon your computer's software. Here are the basics using Windows' Write CD Wizard.
- Open the Volunteer Reporter
- Make sure everybody else is out of the Reporter, including closing the Touch-Screen Administrator if you use it.
- File menu | backup
- Click the file folder icon to the right of the "Put the backup in A:\" field
- Scroll up to navigate to the desktop to save the file there
- Click the desktop once to highlight it
- Click OK
- Click OK again
- It is always named VRdata.zip
Burn to CD
- Insert a blank CD into the writeable CD drive.
- Open Windows Explorer [Windows Key | E on the keyboard].
- Locate the current VRdata.zip on the Desktop.
- Right-click VRdata.zip and choose Send to | CD burner drive [usually D: or E:].
- Under CD Writing Tasks, click Write these files to CD.
- Windows displays the CD Writing Wizard.
- Follow the instructions in the wizard.
- Close the CD tray again use My Computer to verify that the VRdata.zip is there with the database files.
Restore Data from a Backup
First, Select the Proper Data Set
The Reporter restores data to the currently selected data set.
- Open the Volunteer Reporter.
- Go to the File menu | Select Data Set.
- Highlight the correct data set.
- Click the Select button to close
Restore the Data from a CD
In the Reporter, go to the File menu | Restore | Restore Data Files window:
- To the right of the "Restore from A:\" field click the little folder icon.
- Scroll down to find the CD drive.
- Click once on the CD drive to highlight it.
- Click OK.
- Click OK again.
- [If there are two CD drives and you got the wrong one, repeat steps 1-6 but try the other CD drive.]
You will receive several messages:
Are you sure you want to replace your current data with a previous copy of your data?